Friday, May 16, 2008

Open Letter to Journey

An Open Letter to Journey

Gentlemen, I was going to write sooner because I had some questions about the symbolism of your logo. What’s with the dung beetle with wings? You see, even though I’ve heard of Journey and loved Journey songs, I was not really interested as to who you were, individually or collectively, until Arnel Pineda showed up. I know you guys are busy so I went to the library instead and the research librarian gave me enough books to research about dung beetles. I’m telling you - librarians are a different breed; they’re like a breathing Google. I told her I was not researching for scientific purposes that would benefit mankind but that this was all about my racing heart rate caused by you guys. You would be proud of me because even though you are supposed to be quiet in libraries, I managed in hushed tones to tell her about ya’ll coming to Dallas. And of course, what’s Journey without Arnel.

Anyway, here’s the meat of why I am writing to you. As I watched your videos in Chile (for the nth time) I had a light bulb moment, which I would like to address each one of you.

I will start off with you Deen:
Towards the end when Arnel was handed a trophy, he kissed it and he handed it to you, but you didn’t even touch it. Instead you put your hand around his shoulder and I could not hear what you were saying but sounded like “No bro’ it’s for you!” That almost made me cry. It takes a bigger man to do that. I think that was your defining moment. I so love you for that, for knowing to make Arnel feel that he deserved that for himself. I cover you with my prayers that God will sustain you to have the strength to resist the wiles of drugs and alcohol because I want you to to be healthy so you can continue to beat them drums like an Iraqi prisoner.

Jonathan, I watched you tickle them ivories and I imagine you tickling my navel (I wish anyway) then you lowered your head just enough, raised your hand and the crowd went wild…. ooohhh. That is so cool but I want to go back to that interview with KNBR when you were talking about Arnel “who kept looking at you like saying, Can I go home now?” It was not because he was tired, that’s for sure, because like you admitted, after 4 songs in, he was still kicking. When he gave you that look like he wanted to go home already, it was because after hanging out with you guys for weeks on end, all he must have been eating was burgers and fries… you know, the American staple? He wanted to go home because he missed eating rice and fish. If you know what’s good for the band, ya’ll need to keep that in mind: we Filipinos are PBR, “powered by rice” per Douglas MaCarthur. Burgers and fries are good but to Filipinos that’s just snacks.

Neal, first off from the bottom of my racing heart, I thank God for who you are. I read that you always gave people the “chance to be” and your instinct seems to work all the time. It is people like you who give our aspiring and struggling wanna bes the drive and the determination to keep pushing their wares hoping that one day, someone will dare give them the chance. But I have a beef about you throwing towels to the audience. I noticed that Arnel held on to his, but I think the crowd started to ask for his too, so he reluctantly gave it to them. I don’t care if you have perspired and blown snot on the towels we need them in the Philippines. And I promise you, we will not keep it unwashed for over a year like Monica Lewinsky did. Remember that controversial dress that was stained with Bill Clinton’s banana water? Well, you get my point.

Arnel, My Arnel: I read that Filipinos at the Las Vegas concert were waving banners – "Arnel For President." Don’t worry about that, they did that to Manny Pacquiao too.
Right now your marquee reads:
Arnel Pineda - Singer/Songwriter, Journey lead singer = SEXY.
If you fall into this pressure of becoming a politician, I cringe at the vision:
Arnel Pineda - Philippine Politician = CORRUPT.
It’s a no-brainer, man.

Now Ross, I don’t know how you ended up having more hair than me, and I think Michael Bolton asked that same question too, but that’s beside the point.
When you said, “ I think we will move here” I hope you were kidding. The Filipinos in California would not like Journey living in Chile taking Arnel away from them. You would not want to tick them off. No, they’re not mean people who will curse you behind your back. They will look at you with goo-goo eyes then cuss you out in Tagalog or in Bisaya. But seriously man, I can see you’re tired so if you’re just looking for another place to retire, come live with me in Cebu. So call me.

No comments: