Saturday, July 26, 2008

Why I miss Malaysia






I remain friends with all my exe's - I figured that it takes less energy to be positive than to be negative. And Don my late husband, was friends with them too. After Don died, NJ wanted me to visit him and his kids in Malaysia where he now lives. He lives an affluent life; I stayed at his guest house, drove around in his brand new Jaguar and Gurkha bodyguards on my heels if I needed them. He hired these ex-Gurkha soldiers to protect his kids when they were little, but decided to keep them on to protect his guests and his home.

I enjoyed all that but what I really remember and miss are the foods in Malaysia. I think they have the best foods in the world, what with the confluence of Chinese, Malay and Indian cooking. Laksa tops my list in the soup category, but I think Malaysians consider this a full meal (not a soup) which I think it is too. On my way back I stayed at the Hyatt in KK and next to it was a food court - even when I was not hungry, I ate laksa again. I could not find a restaurant here in Dallas that makes this so I make my own. And I have perfected it with ingredients that all comes from a bottle. I am in a less jovial mood this week I think because of the kind of topics I have to write. So I made this comfort food today.

No comments: