Friday, August 08, 2008

My Brush with Art -Part 2

The French impressionist painter Degas said "Everyone has talent at 25; the difficulty is having it at 50."

This is in reverse for me. At 25, the only talent I can remember I had was being good at dodging creditors and trying to make my "paysos" pay so much. Art exists around us and in all of us but I hardly noticed it then; I was busy surviving.
But when I turned 50, I started to notice the things that I didn't bother or have time to pay attention to before. Like art and artists. (I am struggling here not to get to the artist part, but ..)

Anyway, I just got an email from my friend D. She wants to shake off the Journey/Arnel virus. (Let's call it virus not an addiction) With a husband and toddlers and a business to run, I can understand. To enjoy the music and the man is one thing. But to be oppressed by it is another thing. I myself have been trying. Every other day, I quit. And yet Every other day I blog about Journey/AP. And I say to myself "This is insane, this is oppressing me, I have to quit this."

And just before I got D's email, I made a concentrated effort not to come straight home from work so I can stay away from YouTube. Then I come home and look at YouTube anyway before I could shake off my shoes from my feet and look at this. We didn't have this in Dallas, I need my money back.

Wasn't I talking about Degas? You follow what I'm saying of what I have become? Well, if Michaelangelo's David is art, so is a shirtless Arnel Pineda. I really need to quit this.

No comments: