Saturday, August 02, 2008

My thoughts on Music, Fame and Steve and Arnel

God in these last few months has given me a glimpse of how my life can get out of control if I let it. When I woke up yesterday morning, I was determined not to go near my computer. I prayed, read my bible, took a walk, showered and went to a quiet brunch. Then I went to the library –I used to live there. Things have been so hectic lately that yesterday's visit to the library was a treat. When someone asks me what I love about America, the first on my list is The Library. I will walk in to any library and my heart just pitter-patter.

But while I was there I could not concentrate reading Vaclav Havel because I had so many questions that kept popping up in my head. But mostly these are questions about music, music fans and famous people, nothing significant. Now, am back at my computer and still ponder about these questions.

1. I don’t understand why my co-workers looked at me cross-eyed when I said, “They tried to make me go to rehab, I said, no.no.no. I is brown but I won’t go down. Just so you kno”

But if you add drums, guitar and extra hair, David Letterman lets you sit in his couch. (Leave Amy Winehouse out of it –Ok?)

2. I wonder if it’s the breast cone that attracted A-Rod to Madonna.

3. At last Sunday’s concert, I wonder why it’s ok to shine those fog lights at me but when I took pictures of Neal Schon and forgot to turn off the flash the security people threatened to deport me back to Vietnam. I had to explain that I am a Texan not Vietnamese, thank you.

4. The weather in Dallas last Sunday was at least 98 degrees, but (Heart ) Nancy wore a heavy black top and Anne, a black cape. Is it expected by the fans of the performer to continue the symbolism, (act, costume,etc) when they were first starting out? Will the fans stop loving them if they stop? Now I worry about Arnel Pineda’s twirling.

5. I wonder if Ross Valory were a ditch digger and not Journey would women still be in love with him. My friend Sam said she wouldn’t give him the time of day even if she was standing by Big Ben.
I would. We would be poor but I'll have plenty of gas- from laughing at his antics.

Now this last one not only bugs me, but is riding on my last nerve. People from everywhere emails me as if now I am the Dalai Lama or the Terminator. Their emails are about fans on 2 sides - the Steve Perry fans and Arnel Pineda fans. Let me get this off right here.

Arnel worships the ground that Steve walks on. He admitted that from the beginning from his little world in Asia (HK and PI) and he admits that on the worldwide web now. Ok? Arnel is very grateful that Journey hired him. Arnel IS NOT AND WILL NOT TRY TO COMPETE WITH "THE VOICE". ARNEL IS VERY WISE TO KNOW THAT HE SHOULDN'T. STEVE PERRY IS HIS HERO. Arnel Pineda does not need defending. God got him where he is; God will not fail him now. And Steve Perry is not asking his fans to defend him. He is a bigger man than that. You can speculate any way you want it, it's not going to change but for the better. The SP knows when to turn down the world and when to walk away. That's the great Steve Perry.

*When Mark Knopfler was asked about the dissolution of Dire Straits, he said ,"It got too big than what I expected." So he knew when to walk out of fame before it walked out on him. And I admire men who knows how to do that. And when Arnel's borrowed time ends, he too will know how to walk out gracefully. That is My Arnel.

So guys, the fighting is very uncouth, uncultivated and very Unlike Arnel. You claim to love Arnel? Stop wasting that energy on defending him -it only makes him look bad. Pray for Arnel and shield him from bad press. Use that energy to build up, not tear down someone.

But if you're still oozing with extra energy, go join the US Army. As for me, am going to be a groupie. Shalom.


*Rolling Stone Aug '08 Issue

No comments: