Friday, October 17, 2008

Hang in there Seve

Never regret anything that made you smile - Ruslana Kurshonova



I don't know Severiano Ballesteros, I only met him last year at the Masters Tournament through NJ, but Seve made me smile, made me feel good - I even promised to see him in Carnoustie for The Open, knowing that I could not afford to go there. It's just as well that I didn't go because he made his announcement there to retire. In 1975, he started in Carnoustie, it's just fitting to end it in Carnoustie.




At practice at Augusta National. I have other pics I took of him but this is my favorite I used as my screensaver.

Twenty five years ago, NJ would bore me with golf and talks about Seve incessantly and I would pretend to be the "interested, good listener girlfriend" (shut up already) but when I finally met him last year, all I could say was, "Ooh, wow, really?" This Spaniard took my breath away. Winner of 5 majors, gray speckled hair and a flat belly? The British gallery loves him because Seve wears his heart in his sleeve. Seve cries. And I just love a man who cries.

And now I cry, because Seve is laid up in a hospital in Madrid because of a brain tumor. He made this statement from his hospital bed before the surgery :

"Throughout my career I have been among the best at overcoming challenges on the golf course," Now I want to be the best confronting the hardest challenge of my life - with all my strength, counting on all of you who are sending me encouraging messages."

Seve, I am praying for you. Look up from whence comes your help, your help comes from the Lord.

No comments: