Tuesday, October 07, 2008

My journey in New Mexico

OMG!!! I fell in love with New Mexico. I did not get to meet any of the Jboys, but that's ok. I prefer it that way anyway. I'm not even sure I want to go to the "meet and greet" because I am afraid that the cleaning crew would not be happy cleaning after me. Unless I have my Depends ready.

But I did get to meet interesting people.




The Navajo Code Talkers where the movie The WindTalkers (Nicholas Cage) is based from. I got my book The Code Talkers signed by all of them.

Michael Thomas - a jazz musician who plays at the plaza. I asked him if he has a real job, he said No. He barely makes enough money but he's doing what he loves.

Joseph and his dog "sister". Joseph has no home but a tent up in the hills of Santa Fe. He has been living as a vagabond for 2 years now after serving the US army. But he prefers it that way. "It is more peaceful, and I want peace" he said. Now I know how a well-heeled woman suddenly becomes homeless - she falls in love with a homeless man and moves in with him.

Steve has a simple wish: I want to be a tricycle driver. When he came to New Mexico from Michigan 2 years ago, on vacation with his wife, he rode in one of these. He told his wife "I want to move here and this is what I would do, drive people around for a tour." I'm not sure what happened to the wife after hearing him proclaimed his lofty goal and achieved it too.

And last but not least. Marikit from the AP shoutbox read my blog about me coming to New Mexico. She emailed me and wants to know if we could hook up, of course we can. She bought her concert and plane tickets and we met for the first time. She has such a calming presence, unassuming but independent spirit and a Manchester United die-hard fan. We had such a great time talking we forgot to take pictures of us. Until we meet again, glad to have met you Dr. Geslani.



No comments: