Friday, November 28, 2008

God Of This City

It's Friday morning here in Dallas and I'm sitting here in my patio drinking coffee tying to get over jet lag. It's dark and it's cold and my heart feels very heavy. During the 12 hour flight from Korea to Dallas all I could hear in my head was Jordan singing the songs he's learned from Sunday School. The first week I was in Cebu I had him watch and listen to Arnel Pineda on YouTube singing Faithfully. Jordan immediately told me "I don't like it" even before Arnel finished the first line. How dare you not like My Arnel? but I didn't say it out loud to him. "What do you like?" trying to be more indulgent to his childlike honesty. "Hosanna" he said. I like Hosanna too but not all day long with Jordan singing it.

Then last Sunday at church during the worship service led by Jordan's adult friends Jerry, Joshua and Gil, I heard this song for the first time and I told Jordan I really like it, so Jordan started singing this again all throughout the week until I left Wednesday night. Well, not really singing because Jordan doesn't really know the words but he makes up his own words anyway.

Later that afternoon I came back because my friend Tom asked me to teach the kids because their teacher was unable to come. I keep saying I don't do kids, but it went well with us discussing Genesis 39 about Joseph, one of my favorite Old Testament stories.




No comments: