Saturday, November 08, 2008

Ties that Binds

My friends have accused me of not being a typical Filipino because of 3 things :

1. I don't travel with boxes splitting at the seams containing cans of spam and a bicycle.
2. I don't want my tribe and the neighboring tribe congesting the airport to meet me when I arrive.
3. I don't want my tribe and the neighboring tribe congesting the airport to send me off when I leave.
Why? because I don't like it. When I say I travel light, I mean it to include people too.

In my childhood I used to hear my mom complain when our relatives from the mountains would come to our house and they came in droves. "*Nidulhog na, nagpanon pa gyud," she would say and then proceed to get busy taking care of them nervously. And because of lack of space, I was always relegated to sleep on top of the pig pen. Now, I always equate the sight of lots of people around me as a sign or a cause to get busy and go crazy. (I know, I need therapy for this.) Just as I like to do things alone here in the US, I do the same thing in Cebu. I don't like the idea of lugging my family around, or anybody for that matter - until I saw Arnel Pineda at Malacanang.

I thought it was so cool. Watching Arnel with his family in-tow was so cool I started planning to lugg my family to the mall next time I come to Cebu. But scratch that idea because I can't afford to hire a bus. I know, you're saying that I am always biased when it comes to Arnel, that he could not do wrong in my sight. Of course he can and he did do wrong. Why did he strain his vocals for Gloria? and for Sonny Belmonte? Arnel Pineda is a rock star, you don't call him - he calls you. Excuse me, I forgot. That is My Arnel. No arrogance; just a simple lead singer of Journey and humble father to Cherub.

So let me proceed to my next complain. Why was Gloria so prim and proper sitting next to Arnel? Why didn't she jump up and down screaming -Knellskyyyyyyy!!! The plokkers do that and they're half way across the world from him. The least she could have done was lean over his ear, giggle and say IDOOL!!! But I understand, it would be un-presidential for her to say I drool.
There goes my manners again.




*Here comes the herd descending on us.

No comments: