Wednesday, November 19, 2008

To Eat or Not to Eat

I am here in Cebu, Philippines and normally, I get over my jet lag in 2 days. I have been here a week and I am still struggling with the pesky hunger in the middle of the night like I need my breakfast already. Since I can't go back to sleep, I get up with the intention of exercising but my postage-stamp- size apartment prevents me from doing that so I pace instead. And eat. Like I do in Dallas. Except that here, I eat real food. I don't put any restrictions on my eating, especially here. I only have one rule to follow here: if it's still it is food, if it moves, it's a cockroach.

Yesterday, I had lunch with my friends Armand and Pastor Leo. Filipinos (in the Philippines) thinks that gaining weight is a blessing from God. If you're a stick of bones and dying from cancer yes, of course. First thing Armand said to me when he saw me, with his eyes gleaming and a big smile: "Ooh, you gained some weight." Even when he said it in that sensual Ilonggo twang, I felt the spear jab my rib. I said, "Yeah, I prefer food over men." He meant it as a compliment but my brain still thinks American....you called me fat now I need a psychiatrist.

We finished lunch and moved on to Bo's Coffee and I was going to order a chocolate cake with my coffee, but Pastor Leo guided me towards the low fat carrot cake. He was not only concerned about the welfare of my soul. We had fun but as soon as I got home, I got on my scale and it said, "One at a time please." Oh well, I still prefer food over men.

No comments: