Thursday, December 25, 2008

How Soon Do We Forget

Freely you have received, freely give - Matthew 10:8


It was only 2 years ago that Jordan was unable to read or write and now he is trying to manage my affairs in Cebu. At least he thinks he is anyway. About 8 years ago, Don and I stopped buying Christmas gifts for each other but instead we started adopting a family in Cebu for Christmas. We started with 3 families in Jordan's neighborhood then it grew to 7 and now 19. After Don died Chat has picked up the tab to continue the practice. My niece who used to facilititate this for us is now in Europe so I tried to set it up while I was there last month.

I explained to Jordan that I adopted him (though not legally) because God loves him and God is using me to show His love for him, and that God would want him to show kindness to people with the same kindness that he has been given. I also wanted him to feel like he's a part of this effort so I asked him to write down the names of the people and the kind of food they might want to eat that we can put in the food basket.

When I called the other day to ask Jordan for the names, I noticed that Arlene's name was not on the list. Arlene used to be my helper, she's not married but has a child. "Why is Arlene not on the list?" Jordan had a quick answer : "She sent away her son to Botyok the father, she can share what we give to her brother." I said, " I don't want her to feel left out, she always gets one every year, so go ahead put her back on the list."

My requirements for a family to be on the list are 1) with small children and struggling 2) Or old couple with no foods for Christmas at all. Jordan was unmoved. "She has no child, she gets no food." I started to raise my voice at him: "Jordan she is struggling, put her back on the list." Jordan has come a long way and I know he was sticking to the rules and not because he has a mean bone in him but I wanted to make sure he does not forget where he came from. After a few minutes of emotional wrangling with him, he agreed and I realized how glad I am that God is not man, or we won't get anything but punishment - and exacted even at Christmas.

No comments: