Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It Is Well With My Soul

Today, I attended my first funeral in America for our friend Bill. I am so emotionally drained so I want to let out some of the confusions in my head by sharing this song that was sung at the funeral today. I can't talk about Bill for now, but I want to talk about the man Horatio Spafford who penned this song after several traumatic events in his life.

Horatio Spafford, a successful lawyer in Chicago in 1860's had 5 kids. His only son died in 1871, then 2 years later in 1873, after the great Chicago fire which devastated him financially, his other 4 daughters died. His wife Anna, was travelling ahead of Horatio to Europe with the daughters when the ship sank killing all four kids except Anna. Horatio boarded the next ship out to fetch his wife, and while enroute and passing the area of the tragedy, the ship captain called Horatio to the bridge of the ship and told him, "I believe this is where you lost all your children." Horatio then went back to his cabin and penned this words.


Video Courtesy -Worship Video/China

No comments: