Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Of Gadgets and more gadgets

In the early 70's when the US Congress was discussing about the emerging technology, their excitement pooled around "how much time it would save us". They were right and wrong. Yes, it freed us from doing laundry on a scrub board or from going to the river to wash, but technology also gives us more gadgets to manage thus making us more isolated. Instead of socializing with other women at the river, we now are stuck staring at our Blackberry's.

I have never bought a piece of electronic gadget unless a coffee maker is considered one. Everything I have was given to me. And because I have been complaining about my desktop and laptop, this week I received a new Netbook plus a new Canon digital camera and a Flip Mino camcorder. Don't ask me who, just know that it's a he. I am now blogging from this netbook because I could not blog on my desktop anymore, again,, don't ask me why,just believe me when I say it won't let me.

I don't read manuals except the Bible. So imagine my frustration when I have to try to figure out what to do with anything new. And now I have to learn to use the touch pad, my old laptop is an IBM (also was a gift) with that red button in the middle that you wiggle around, I was used to that. I cried in frustration the other day when I got on this netbook because everytime I touch the touch pad it was so sensitive that the screen just flashes in and out, I was so frustrated until my "donor friend" walked me through it to adjust it.

I can't afford to ramble on in my blog now because I spend more time feeling this touch pad, than thinking of what to say. I better get out of here and walk off this frustration.

No comments: