Saturday, April 25, 2009

How Now

Before I left Dallas to come to Cebu, a friend of mine who is the CEO of one of the technology supplier in Dallas asked me if I could help arrange for a preacher to marry one of his clients here in Cebu. Sure, why not. That's all I was asked to do and his wedding went well while I was off vagabonding.

Now I came back and am suddenly with a title - Director of Operations for a call center here in Cebu? This man I was helping is the Founder and CEO of one of the companies in Dallas and he wants me to work for him in his start up company here in the Philippines. (No wonder he doesn't have the look of a backpacker. ) He explained to me what this company is going to do, the technology that is involved and what my part will be in it. I countered his offer: Can I be paid instead? I want something that I can deposit in the bank and withdraw. And spend. A title normally means less pay or no pay at all. You know, like Mcdonalds or Walmart? If they want you to work 24 hours a day 8 days a week, they will put "Manager" on your name tag.

But seriously, this guy is so cool to work for. He compliments me all the time and gives praise to God for everything. And because he doesn't sleep but works all the time, I have to keep pace with him which I find that physically and mentally, I am so over the hill before I even climbed it. I was upfront with him, I told him that my memory is so bad nowadays, I don't retain anything except water. He smiled and said: me too. Well, I just hope that he still remembers that he wants to hire me.

No comments: