Sunday, April 12, 2009

Simply My observation

In observance of the holy week, I have my own observations that I would like to share with ya'll.

1.When I was growing up, I was told that if you look happy during holy week then you must be a Jew. You were one of those people who crucified Jesus. We were supposed to look sad and penitent; no watching the tv unless you're watching the passion of the cross and definitely no singing -but that was before the Japanese invented the post war subtle form of torture - the karaoke.

2. Now, I see more gay men wagging their tails on the street than there are stray dogs. Once again, you can see that the government is ineffective even after the city health department's campaign that eating dogs is not good for your health. Don't get me wrong, I love gay men because they are upfront and honest. (though brutally at times) Like yesterday, I had my hair washed and on the next sink was a gay man telling the salon attendant:" Your armpit stinks, and
this towel is not soft enough, I need a soft towel because I am not an ordinary person." I thought that was cruel, but life would be simpler if we can all be that straightforward.

3. In America if you want to buy an antique gun, you would go to an antique gun dealer or go online and put a bid on eBay. Here, you just walk up to a policeman and make him an offer. My friend Tom told me this morning of a policeman who was issued a gun 20 years ago, and finally had to use that gun on his 21st year. (I don't know, I guess all these time he just used a bolo) The policeman never once cleaned or took the bullets out of that gun from the day it was issued to him. In the US, before anything can be classified an antique, it has to be over 100 years old, but looking at what's on the hips of these policemen here, they might as well be classified as antiques.

4. Growing up I roamed the streets peddling fruits and vegetables. The green vegetables were really green and ripe mangoes were really ripe. You never had to ask "Are these sweet?" They were round, fat and almost yellow orange when ripe but now, they're thin and pale. We don't like our mangoes to be thin and pale so why should women be thin and pale?
I can understand the proliferation of diet pills but whitening agents? I have this friend who doesn't have a job but when she has money, she buys whitening pills. To me that's deplorable.

Michael Jackson thought that America wanted him to be white, look at him now. I understand we all have our insecurities and our need to belong but wanting to be white? For what? This lady was knocking on my door the other day, she sells soaps and imported clothes from Hongkong. She was explaining to me why I should use the soap she was selling, "it has a lightening agent, it will make you white." Why would I want to be white? . "So you can find a husband." With her comment I wished I was gay but I held my tongue. I said, "No,thank you, I'm not looking for a Filipino husband, I am looking for an American husband- they like their women to look like Nora Aunor with a flat nose." Minus the drug charges in California, of course.

*Nora Aunor- Filipino actress with dark complexion.

No comments: