Saturday, June 13, 2009

Things I am Thankful For

I am back home from the hospital and feeling so much better. I slept so good in my own bed last night. No vampires coming in at all hours of the night wanting my blood, no nurses coming in at 2 a.m. to feed you another 39 pills while she add more bags of that burning fluid into your IV line. And she's smiling. At 2 a.m, yes. If she's not smiling, it's because she's not a Filipino nurse.

Seriously, when the doctors could not come up with a positive in any of the tests that were done, in between bouts of bone breaking fever and chills I kept thinking I will not come out alive because the doctors kept telling me "You are very sick, more than you know, your organs could fail anytime because your blood count is dropping but your body is fighting it out now." I got very afraid for the future.

I told Chat no visitors then she started texting my preacher friends in Cebu to activate a prayer group, I called my praying friends here in Dallas and they put me on speaker so I could hear them pray for me. I don't ask everybody to pray because I know who among my friends has a prayer life and those who doesn't. I cry when I think about what the doctor said, "Your body is fighting it out now." I know very well it's not "my body" who was fighting but the One who created my body.

I am a firm believer that God is aware of every detail that is happening to us because the Bible says that He either "cause" it or "allows" it. I was comforted a lot by this knowledge. And I am so thankful that I am sick in a country where they don't ask your family to come up with money first before you can be treated. Whatever the doctor thinks your body needs, they administer it. And when it's time for you to go home, you don't stop by the cashier to settle bills -doesn't matter if your bill is 1k or 1mil. This is America and boy, do I thank God for her.

No comments: