Saturday, August 08, 2009

Pardon My Opinion

"I don't agree with what you say, but I will defend to death your right to say it."--Voltaire


I have a friend whom I have known for 5 years now and just like all of my other friends, I tell him everything I want to tell him. And because I have an opinion about some things, he calls me "very opinionated." It's ok for him that I have an opinion as long as I don't voice it out, or as long as my opinion is something that he agrees with. In other words, he doesn't want to be engaged.

But really, I do that to all my male friends; I don't engage them. The only man I ever engaged in a debate or a serious conversation was Don because he was secure in himself. He did not feel threatened by my knowledge, he did not feel deminished because I knew more than him on some subject. He knew who he was.

Well, my patience and energy is running out on this friend. I took in more than anyone would, I can handle anger but I can't handle hatred. I could not take the insult anymore, all these 5 years, when we talk about politics he would scream and make me feel vile: "It's your war, it's your president." He hated Bush so much that I had to defend that poor Texan even if I didn't vote for his second term. But this afternoon I got tired of defending Bush or myself, I told my friend to go some place hot. He won't engage, he hang up on me.

With all my friends, I try to accept their flaws as they readily accept mine, but it's harder dealing with an emasculated man. I love them as friends and I love them around but God is using them as a good reminder why I should not get romantically involved with anyone anymore. Until I find a man who will engage without making me feel that I am his enemy, I am at peace with what Gloria Steinem said: A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.

No comments: