Saturday, August 01, 2009

Take Less and Give More

Just got back from my walk but I didn't finish the 2 miles because I decided I had to talk to this guy. Lately, at the picnic area near my walking trail, I would see this dark man on top of the table meditating in a yoga position, (I'm not sure if the Americans appreciate him using their picnic table as a yoga mat) but I could not take the time to stop to talk to him because I have to get to work. Well, today I decided I have time to be nosy.

His name is HS Gupta, a Hindu from India, he is visiting his son who works here in the US. He is a vegetarian and practice Vipassana yoga everyday. We talked for 18 minutes and I wish I had a pen or my camera with me because he showed me some breathing technique and some profound principles -"Take less and give more, you'll be happier."
I teased him - "I study Jesus' teaching but I could use yours too, would you consider staying here in the US so I can study under you?" He just laughed. He summarized yoga simply for me, " If you pay attention to your breathing you can control your thoughts." Breath deep and slow; you have peace, breath fast; there's adversity or chaos in your thoughts. Hmmm.

No comments: