Saturday, September 12, 2009

Carmen

Well, today is one of those days that I like; dark, gloomy and showering. So I started out early and went to return some books at the library and stopped by this place, Carmen's Bagel Cafe Italian Deli. I'm not into bagels but the colorful sign on this cafe stands out from among the rest in the area that I've been meaning to stop in but didn't get to until today. It's located on the same side of the Richardson Public library on a shopping plaza that looks empty most of the time. I met Jason the owner, ( a really nice guy ) who said that his grandfather always told him that, " One day you're gonna do it," meaning - he's going to open his own restaurant.Carmen's only serves Lavazza coffee, one of the 3 famous Italian coffees, the other 2 being illy and Segafredo. I bought a medium cappucino for only $2.35 served in this styro cup which I prefer to be served in a ceramic cup and saucer unless I order it to go.
I love mom and pop operations so I am hoping for this new business to be able to make it in this economy especially because Carmen's prices are very reasonable. Breakfast sandwiches in bagels, rolls or whole wheat is less than 4 dollars and breakfast platter is less than 5 dollars with free wi-fi, not to mention the homey, cozy living room set up.People started trickling in and suddenly the line was getting long I had to leave Jason alone but one more question: "Is Carmen your wife?" "No, that's my grandfather's name. My grandma was Napolitano, my grandpa a Sicilian. In Spanish, Carmen would be a woman's name but not in Italy." Now that explained the black and white picture of a man in between the bottles of Torani syrup on the shelf behind the counter.

2 comments:

Cheryl T said...

My Husband and I love this place, we have not done the Bagels thing yet, but we do frequent for lunch or dinner. You must try the Warm goat cheese salad or the Chicken panini!

Unknown said...

Jason, I wish you best of luck. My BF and I would like to open a "mom & pop" someday...Wish I lived closer than South Florida so we could stop in!

Trisha Mekita