Tuesday, September 08, 2009

My present high

I don't know what women get as wedding gifts from their husbands, but mine was a big thick heavy bible with an accompanying poem Don wrote for me.
( He was a Greek and Hebrew bible scholar and a Shakespeare freak.) I pretended to be happy with the gift because you can't show your real nasty self the first week of marriage. Then comes the next gift, "for the house" he said. It was a thick heavy cookbook with an accompanying set of heavy glass pyrex measuring bowls. The man badly needed me to learn how to cook, after I told him that the only food I know to cook is rice. Well, I opened that bible on the day he gave it to me and it was 7 years later when I opened it again and I still read it daily for my daily devotion. It is God's love letter to mankind and the best gift Don has ever given me after all. I don't remember whatever happened to that cookbook, but it was 10 years later after I got married that I started to learn to read and follow a recipe...stir or mix or fold? I had fun exploring specialty stores to buy kitchen gadgets and I always got a kick trying new recipes on Don because with him not knowing how to cook, he thought I was a great cook even after I turn fried eggs into charcoal. I didn't enjoy kitchen work anymore after Don died, then after I read Trail of Crumbs a month or so ago, I got excited about cooking again so I unpacked my kitchen tools from my garage and started scouring the internet for food bloggers. I found 2 that I really like - Kusina ni Manang and babeinthecity. Well, until I get bored with this, this is my high for now.

No comments: