Saturday, September 05, 2009

What's eating You

Well, today's lesson from my picnic table guru, Mr. Gupta: I should stop eating meat. When I told him, that I am "slowly trying", he said, "Why slowly? if you find yourself about to fall from a cliff, you don't slowly try, you step back and stop." I love his philosophy, but I just can't imagine life without meat or fat. He further appealed to my conscience by telling me that animals releases stress hormones when they are about to be killed because they are afraid and we end up ingesting those bad hormones. I thought about what he said and I started to feel bad for the animals but not bad enough because after I ran my errands, I felt like I could not move another step if I didn't go to my favorite Vietnamese restaurant and eat their brined pork. I know, I know, but I always feel that it's not what we eat, but what's eating us. Guilt,bitterness or unforgiveness is more destructive than a jiggly pork belly. Some people are addicted to chocolate, me, I'm addicted to grease.
After I hogged down half of it, I went to the Vietnamese market and found this in the frozen section. I didn't know what it was, except it said "Thai coconut dessert", but I love the ceramic bowls - 6pcs for $3.99 so I bought it. The instruction said to steam for 3 minutes. I did and it's really good but I can only eat one because it's very sweet and rich.

No comments: