Saturday, October 24, 2009

If Not Now, When?

I hate change. And I hate it with a passion, but as they say, the only constant in our life is change. So last week, I have turned in my resignation, telling my boss that I am not moving with them. It was a very difficult conversation with my boss because I did not stay in that job all these years for the money, (because I'm not lying when I said 12 year olds make bigger allowance than me) but because of the relationship I have with my immediate boss.

All these years my boss has given me the freedom to go as I please (or how else would I have been able to vagabond) and come back when I want, but the time has come for me to move on and sever our professional relationship. The time is now; I need to grow up. My stomach has been in a knot, I get clammy hands and feet and wake up startled in the middle of my sleep from the anticipation of my leaving the comfortable set up I have been accustomed to, but at the same time, I am surprised and proud of myself for making what you would consider an unwise decision in this struggling economy. Yet, afraid and anxious as I am, I'm also confident that I will be okey, because I had a long conversation with God before I made this decision.

When I say, I had a long conversation with God, I do not mean that I even knew how to articulate my anxiety, my state of uncertainty and inner turmoil to Him. All I knew was that I did not want to move but at the same time afraid to quit. The only thing I was certain of, was whatever road I will take, Jesus will be with me. The decision is made - my last day with my present job is until the end of this month. So the next time you pass by I-45 and downtown Dallas, make sure to wave at me and I won't be hard to spot because I probably would be the only Asian resident there, under the bridge. Did I say I wanted to be a real vagabond?

No comments: