Saturday, October 10, 2009

Longanisa

I love pork fat the same way Joan Rivers loves plastic surgery. Yup, I'm addicted - to grease. I should eat healthy but my philosophy is: I want to die sick because it's retarded to die healthy. Last night, I got inspired to make longanisa after I found my meat grinder attachment in the same box with the moon cake molds the other night.
Sausage casings I got from the Philippines, this is less work than the wet casings I buy from here.

I got tired of stuffing so I made the rest into skinless.Recipe: Ingredients
2 lbs - pork meat (I bought shoulder cut and ground them coarsely)
1/2 cup - pork fat diced-this is what makes all the difference to me but I only had this much from a left over pork belly.
6 cloves garlic crushed
3 Tbsp - brown sugar
1/3 cup - vinegar ( I used the Filipino brand )
1.5 tsp - Kosher salt
2 tsp - Paprika
1 tsp - black pepper
1 tsp - pepper flakes (use less or more) but I only had 2 packs of Pizza Huts I found in my drawer.

Mix all ingredients and let stand about 2 hours. Fill casing with mixture and let ripen in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Prick holes in the casings, not much but just enough to let it breath.

No comments: