Saturday, November 14, 2009

Until Then

You can not consistently perform in a manner that is inconsistent with the way you see yourself - Dr Joyce Brothers

I was watching Andre Agassi last night talk about how he didn't want to play tennis, that it was not his choice as a kid to play tennis, but it was his dad who made the decision for him. And because of that, he was very conflicted and unhappy because it was not consistent of who he is.
My parents never encouraged me to do anything except to plow the field, and for the longest time, I never knew what I wanted to do, or what I was called to do.

Until about 4 years ago. I started to narrow things down in my head and realized there is nothing more I want to do than write. I have taken writing classes at a local college, but I dream of going to Columbia School of Journalism. The problem is, my dream is not synching with my determination. Of course, I don't have the money to go to Columbia, but in this country, that would not be a problem if my determination to go is bigger than the hurdle. In this country, if you can dream it - you can have it.

Andre Agassi made the decision to love tennis at the age of 27. At 52, I have made the decision to love what is placed before me, right here and now. Even though this job I have right now is temporary, (because nothing is permanent) and I'm really not writing the kind of writing I want, it is consistent with myself to do the right thing and do my best until God moves me along because I have always believed in the biblical principle that it is God who promotes, and it is God who demotes. So until you see my name on the LA Times or the Time magazine, you can find me here in my cube, right next to my kitchen.

No comments: