Saturday, December 05, 2009

Dress Codes, Morals and Mercedes

I could be an all-American girl, except that I didn't arrive on the Mayflower and I don't care for football or baseball. But I've always been partial to golf because the players mostly keep a low profile. And they don't wear tight pants tormenting you with their banana and grapes cluster. That sight right there is enough to make me feel tired and dirty - and that's without mentioning their running and rolling around on the ground.

Even with John Daly's freakish dress codes, I still love golf, but I am not a fan of Tiger Woods because the kid is almost supernatural in his game that everytime the word "golf" is mentioned, Tigers name is right next to it. During any tournament where he plays, everyone else is eclipsed by Tiger; either by the media attention or just by how the crowd holds their breath when he passes by. What about the pony-tailed, cigar smoking Spaniard- Miguel Angel Jimenez? Ok, so it's not the same, but get my point?

And now his scandal. I still believe that the kid should be cut some slack - leave the kid and his family alone. The argument that Tiger's life should be public because he's a product endorser and therefore a role model, is friggin' warped thinking to me. Tiger did not start out as an endorser; he's a golfer, an excellent golfer. So here comes Nike asking Tiger to wear their shoes, their hat and their shirts (and whatever else). Nike, the Greek goddess, offered Tiger millions of dollars in exchange for him to wear the victory swoosh on his person all the time, except when he's taking a shower. Nike and the other sponsors did not sign Tiger on because he was a moral agent who would lead us to spiritual salvation or usher us in to Shangri-la, or serve as our guide on how to empty ourselves of greed. The Greek goddess wanted the Tiger to convince us to empty our pockets and buy Nike shoes, period.

Tiger Woods not only sells shoes, he also sells watches and private jets while he plays golf on the side and gets paid in millions - that's free and open market. But his private life is not free or open to the market. He answers only to his family and ultimately to God for his personal transgressions. Now, my neighbor who lives off of my taxes under section 8 rental program definitely needs to answer to me : What's a brand new Mercedes doing in her garage?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very true, dai ritch!!!

i miss reading your blogs so now i'm here...heheheh