Saturday, December 19, 2009

Try Being Broke

Yesterday, when I told my friend that I quit my job 3 weeks ago, he said: What? you quit 2 jobs in 1 year? Yup. I did. And to those of you who would want to know how I'm going to survive, don't worry. Like I told everybody, I have all the money I would ever need in my lifetime. Assuming of course that my lifetime is only overnight. Anyway, being broke is really not that bad, in fact it's exciting. See, if I wasn't broke, I would have been out to Barnes and Noble sipping my Starbucks instead of digging through my pantry and I would not have found this palm sugar. I don't know why I bought this to begin with, but to entertain myself, I thought I'd experiment it with my left over pecans and coconut. I had left over coconut in my refrigerator for the coco bread I made on Thanksgiving. So here's what I did:

Dissolve the palm sugar with 2 tablespoon of water.
Then add the coconut.After it is thoroughly dissolved and mixed, add the pecans immediately to coat it. I made 2 variations: First I tried coating the pecans with just the dissolved palm sugar without the coconut, then I baked it for 15 minutes. The palm sugar expanded and it's very crunchy. Here it is.
For the second variation, I toasted the pecans for 10 minutes then coat it with the palm sugar coconut mixture. I think I made a good discovery this morning-palm sugar, and without any help from the internet.

No comments: