Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Writers Block

I'm hitting a wall. I was on my computer from 8 a.m to 3pm the other day -only getting up for something to eat or drink, and all I got was a numb butt. Yesterday, I did not write because I am hosting a friend for a few days and also I need to be able to feel my butt again. Then today, I have to take care of a sick friend and a class to attend, so I have decided to take a few days off from writing.

Why is it that engineers or nurses doesn't get the "block"? Can you imagine when you're laid up in your hospital bed and your nurse is incapacitated and tells you, she's having the nurses' block?
Thank God, only writers have it- right? Whatever.

2 comments:

Rosanne Bane said...

I have a cure for writer's block: 15 magic minutes. Instead of sitting all day getting a numb butt and frustrating yourself so much you're willing to take a few days off (and I know how a few days off make it so much harder to come back until a few days becomes a week or two, then months) -- commit yourself to showing up for no more than 15 minutes (could be 10 minutes, even 5, whatever seems small enough that you'll commit to doing it No Matter What!). You show up for your 15 minutes, and as long as you're not doing anything else, it counts, even if you're not "writing" (you could be doing research or scribbling notes or just starting at the ceiling thinking). Often showing up for 15 minutes gets you past the initial inertia and you want to keep going. If so, great. If not, you stop with a clear conscience, a sense of satisfaction, and most important, momentum. If any of these ideas intrigue you, check out my blog at www.BaneOfYourResistance.wordpress.com
Rosanne Bane

vagabond said...

Thanks Rosanne, I needed this.