Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Repeat after me - Constipation

One thing about being an unpaid blogger is, I can say anything I want. In this blog I've talked about facial hair, menopause and water retention so many times already. Today, the word is constipation. You can chuckle or cringe, just don't act surprise.

The other day I went to a walk-in clinic to renew a prescription for my high blood pressure. I asked the doctor to change what I had because it makes me constipated (yes), and he said to eat a banana. I told him I don't eat bananas because it makes me constipated (yes, again). He says, "bananas make Americans constipated but not Asians." (I'm serious that's what he said.) By the way, the doctor is Asian with an accent so bad, he might as well be speaking in Chinese. I insisted bananas are not friendly to me, so he said, "ok, eat apples." I told him, I don't do fruits either. He said I better "be nice to fruits" otherwise, I will be cranky all the time, because that's what constipation does to you. I wanted to tell him I'm always cranky even when I'm regular, but I didn't, because I was afraid he would give me another diagnosis and prescribe me another medication that would make me constipated. Again.

I read that constipation is the cause of most of our physical problems. Of course that's understandable from a simple explanation that anything doctors considered a "waste" in your body, should not be there. As you're reading this, grab a fruit or a banana (if it works for you)and try to remember: in any context, the word "regular" is good. When you're constipated, you're carrying something extra, and anything extra besides money is not good.

1 comment:

kayumanggi said...

how about oat meal? costco has this quaker natural granola (oats, honey and raisins). very good! add this to halo-halo and you wouldn't even know it'll help your constipation.

VJ