Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Not judging, simply stating the fact

Why do we keep buying things we don't need with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like? If this does not apply to you, you don't need to laugh - at least not a nervous laugh.

Because I'm a hermit, you're likely to find me in my cave than at social gatherings. But every once in a while, I venture out to some friend's party just to see who's got a new nose job, a new boob job or an LV or Gucci on credit. The other day I went to one party and I enjoyed it immensely because the food was great. Conversations would brush on politics ( a heavy subject I think that's better left on the ground) which of course, if you talk about politics, you can't help but talk about the economy. Oh yes, the economy. Everyone talked of jobs lost, hours being cut down, and the stress it has brought on the family. Then on the same breath, you hear them talk about the bags and the shoes they just bought. And the next one they're planning to buy.

On my way home I thought about the pressure people put on themselves because they're trying to impress people. Suze Orman says that most of our financial troubles stems from the fact that we can't say "no" and the reason we don't say "no" is because we're afraid of what people will think about us. "No, I can't lend you money, because I don't have any." No, I am not buying that bag because I don't have any money." But as I've always said, until you walk in someone's Choo's, don't judge.

No comments: