Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Patience, Patience

I got back from Europe and to my horror realized that I totally forgot my summon for a jury duty. I didn't remember until the court sent me another summon threatening me of a fine if I didn't show up yesterday. So I made sure I appeared in court and was ready to serve however long they need me to be a juror.

The long hallway was lined with seats but we were soon ushered to a waiting room with two big flatscreen television on each end of the room. Except for cooking shows, I get annoyed with tv shows, (did I tell you I don't watch tv and haven't watched tv for more than 8 years now?) so sitting there with over 200 prospective jurors and having no control over the tv was enough to get me over the edge. I sat at the back and this man came to sit next to me and he was the type who comments on everything; commented about the people, the news on tv, about the paper he was reading...etc. Actually he was pretty much talking to himself because I pretended to be riveted to my book and was hoping he'd get the hint and shut up, but he didn't, so I moved to another seat.

Because the place was packed, I was soon sandwiched by two men - one busy with his blackberry and the other with his ipod. I tried to read, I tried to tune out the blaring tv and I tried ignoring the screeching and clicking sound of the blackberry to my left but I was powerless to the ipod man on my right who smelled of yesterday's sweat and oblivious to my turning blue from holding my breath. I went to the clerk and asked if I could be exempted, she said "no" go back to your seat and shut up. And I think I heard her say something under her breath about putting me in a jail cell with a choice of 5 lesbians or Mickey Rourke. I dragged my feet back to my seat, when I saw the first man, the commentator, smiling at me and tilting his head to the seat next to him gesturing -come back here, it's still empty. Oh God, help me.

I found another seat and made it to the next 30 minutes and I was released with the other 165. Anyway, from that experience, I was reminded how impatient I have become of people and even men, which I could not believe because I love men more than women. Oh well.

No comments: