Monday, July 26, 2010

Meaning?

"People want life to have meaning? Does a flower ask what's the meaning of my life? No, it just blooms. It just is." Joseph Campbell



On my first week here in Cabo, Karen asked me if I would live here, and my answer was, "I could." But the question really is, should I? Then Raoul would constantly ask me: "Are you happy here?" And my answer to that is, "If I know what happy means, I could give you an answer."

I am constantly in search of something, but it's definitely not to seek happiness. When I say I am always looking for the next high, I don't mean "happiness." Happiness is relative and so is suffering. What I am constantly seeking is the capacity to savor the moment, to find meaning at whatever state I'm in. And my state right now is between groggy and hazy because I just got back from a Tequila tasting. Vanilla, Canella, Granada or Tamarindo flavored Tequila? At least in Dallas when I wake up, I only have to choose between the two: "What should I have today; depression or anxiety attack? Choices, choices. It drives me nuts.

No comments: