Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Food...or is it?

Arturo Carvajal, a doctor from Miami Florida ended up in the hospital after eating a whole artichoke. It was found that some leaves lodged in his small intestine. So what did he do? He sued the restaurant for not instructing him the proper way to eat an artichoke. What in the world did he think this bulbous thing was? This is what the restaurant representative said: "It's just kind of a silly notion ... What's next? Are we going to have to post warnings on our menu they shouldn't eat the bones in our barbecue ribs?" I agree.

When I was in Strasbourg, France and I saw on the menu the word "roasted bone marrow", I ordered it because Anthony Bourdain said it's his favorite food. After one spoonful, I wanted to pass out because it was like slurping a spoonful of grease. Of course, I didn't need the waiter to tell me to down another glass of wine. I have several sets of friends and I know what to serve who when they come to my apartment. Last Saturday, I served crispy duck and salad for lunch. When my friend Billy came by that night to pick me up to go to the hockey game, I offered him the left over salad. He said, "why do you have salad? I thought you don't eat them." I don't, I feed them to Americans.

No comments: