Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Love....is not enough

The honeymoon is over when he phones that he'll be late for supper and she's already left the note saying it's in the refrigerator. Bill Lawrence

I have a friend who struggles in her marriage, and I tell her --stay, it's the right thing to do, besides, who has a perfect marriage anyway? She says she doesn't love her husband anymore, and I tell her, we don't stay for love, we stay for commitment.
Everyone loves love, but very few knows how to give it or accept it. People get into marriages thinking it's a good deal, but when they find out that it's not, they start looking for the ideal which only leads to another ordeal. I have become a cynic, I admit. When I see people huffing and puffing, giddy and edgy, spending time and money for a wedding, I get weary, because sooner than later, they'd be huffing and puffing trying to get out, except this time, it will cost them more. Financially and emotionally.

So what is love? The world does not have the answer, Dr. Phil or Oprah does not have the answer. But here's what love is not: It does not seek its own, it is not provoked, it does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things and endures all things.
(1 Cor 13:4) This is God's prescription for a great institution called marriage. Notice the word "all" in there? and do you know what "all" means? It means ALL. (No wonder I'm not ready for an institution yet.)

No comments: