Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Cost of Living

"When things are going smooth, could it be that you're going downhill?" I forgot where I read this from.

There was never a period in my life where I dreaded getting old; you know how others say, "I hated turning 30, 40 or 50." Not me, in fact, turning 50 was very liberating to me. I know I am getting old not only by the number getting higher but also by how how I feel,but my goodness, do I have to be reminded about it?

Remember when early this year Toyota was sending out notices about a recall on one of their car models? I didn't get one, instead, some law firm spammed my inbox (and still is) with notices about a "Hip replacement recall" and regardless that I keep flagging them as spam, they continue to come. And gone are the days when Toyota and Honda dealerships used to send me press releases about a new model coming up in the market. But fortunately, some dealers out there still believe that I can still drive because I now get brochures from the Scooter Store. And when it said that I could also avail of a 'power chair' and Medicare will pay half or all of it, I wasn't sure what the tears streaming down my cheeks meant. The brochure says that if I opted for one with a joystick, it will allow me to maneuver in tight spaces and I can now prepare snacks by myself. Since when do you need a motorized vehicle to prepare a snack? But this is not what really makes me feel old. If you look at the dating sites for young people, there's a tab that you can click and see "Who flirts with you", but in the senior sites the tab says : "See who poke you." Poke? Well, that's assuming that I could still see. (Or feel) Let me go so I can wail.

No comments: