Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Friendship

I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you see, I have friends in both places- Mark Twain

In the area of friendship, I consider myself truly blessed. I have 4 sets of friends; my writer friends, my bible study friends and the two friends I've had for over 20 years, who's been with me through hell and back. I've always felt that the true measure of friendship is not by how much fun you've had with them through the years, but how much pain and suffering you've struggled through together. Here's another test of friendship: We see how quickly we rally behind a friend who's in a dire situation like death or illness or the demise of a relationship, but how quickly would you go to a friend and treat them to lunch to celebrate their big job promotion or hug someone who just received a large sum of money. And you do this without a tinge of jealousy or any ulterior motive, except that you're truly happy for them.

Jesus commands us to do good to those who hate us and to love our enemies, I'd like to add how about treating our friends better?

No comments: