Sunday, March 13, 2011

Note to Christians

I have walked through pitch black darkness when my daughter's father walked out on us, I have watched helplessly while my father lay comatose from a massive stroke, my sister's final days dying a painful death with cancer and my husband dropped dead in front of me in a remote island where we didn't know anyone and holding on to the coffin next to me in the car for 5hours. These experiences should make me hard or jaded, right? No, this makes me relate. And this also makes me fuming mad when someone minimizes someone's difficulty. Different people cope differently. Just because they're limping doesn't mean they don't trust or love God, it simply means they're wired differently.

So here's a note to so-called Christians: Especially those who have not experienced traumatic or tragic events in their lives, please do not minimize another persons emotional or spiritual difficulty. I can't say it enough:You can not deny another persons reality, you can only build on it. Just because you can quote bible verses or sings in the worship team doesn't mean you are Godly. Honestly tell me you are not shaken at the time when you are being shaken, honestly tell me you are standing firm, at the time when your spirit is being sifted like wheat and honestly say that you can see straight at the time when your brain can only process black. Until then, shut up. That's Godly.

No comments: