Monday, May 02, 2011

Forgive if you want to live

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
--Martin Luther King, Jr.


When my newspaper guy delivered the paper this morning, he didn't say good morning or anything, instead, he pointed to the headline and said: Osama is dead, Osama is dead. And he said it with such jubilee in his voice. I told him the newspaper is wrong, because I saw Osama at the restaurant with other bearded men eating pork barbecue and drinking San Miguel beer. He then said: "I thought you'd be happy because you're from America." I then got serious with him and explained why no one should rejoice over someone's death, even if he's the enemy. My reasoning is this: If someone killed one of my family member and the killer is caught and made to serve prison time or put to death by lethal injection, that is never going to make my dead loved one alive. Nor does the punishment sufficient enough for me to feel satisfied that justice is done. Besides, there is no real justice here on earth, period.

I am always reminded of this woman whose family, all 8 of them were killed by her estranged husband. Several years later, she was asked if she was able to forgive her ex-husband. Her reply was immediate: "Oh, I had to forgive right away because I do not want him to own me too." That is wisdom. Hatred is never the solution to anything.

No comments: