Monday, October 17, 2011

Anti-capitalist, anti-America

I love America. And I love free enterprise. The same way I respect one's right to free speech and the right to protest, but this "Occupy Wallstreet" protesters kind of rub my scales the wrong way. They are mad because of the banks "greed", which is understandable right off the surface. But do they really understand what for and why they're out there? Did they stop to think that when these "greedy" bankers were bailed out, there was no referendum, asking the tax paying public if we agree to it? No, the politicians collectively passed the basket and handed billions to their friends--the greedy bankers.

So I think these protesters are barking at the wrong tree. Hating the rich and the capitalists? I want to see them "occupy" every politicians home and stay there until they get Washington right. Otherwise, suck it up whiners, because your actions belies your ideals. Or your intellect.
Pooping on a police car to voice out your sentiment about corporate America makes as much sense as scratching your toe because your nose is itching.



Eat the Rich? What the..

They hate "capitalism" so much so that they post their updates through their iphones, an invention that would not have been possible were it not for the capitalist, Steve Jobs. These OWS reminds me of a group of protesters composed of young, idealistic Filipinos, back when they wanted the closure of the US bases in the Philippines. They carried placards, saying, "Down with imperialist America", while they're wrapped in Levi's jeans and drinking Coca cola. And when they were not on the street protesting, they were found reclining and strategizing at Mcdonald's.

I don't make this observation lightly or say this sentiment blindly. In 1986, I was one of the hundreds of thousands of Filipinos lined up on the highway of Edsa, Philippines for the "People Power" revolution. But I can't say it was born out of patriotism, idealism or civic duty. My friend Juliet and I were there because we felt left out and hungry, because our housekeeper hastily left to join the swelling crowd. So we went and joined the festival. Now, am too old to be joining any festival, but I belong to this.


No comments: