Saturday, November 26, 2011

Competition, consumption, progress

Black Friday Sale. It's crazy. And it doesn't make sense. People are jam packed at the malls and every other store looking for that "big sale" of the year. Isn't that wild? just the day before, we bowed our heads to thank the good Lord of how grateful we are for what we have, then the very next day we march to the store with the rest of the herd to buy more things that we don't need and can't afford, to be thankful for next year?

Yesterday, I passed by Walmart and not one parking space was available. Walmart is another source of tummy ache for me. I admit, Walmart's prices are very reasonable and the choices of products more varied. In the short term, that's good, but in the long term? Very dangerous. When Walmart started building in the city where I used to live, I have seen them close down 3 grocery chain of stores. Food Lion, Sack and Save and Albertson's could not compete with Walmart so they closed down. When competition is eliminated, what do you think will happen? I have experienced it first hand in my birth country of Philippines. When there was only 1 commercial airline and 1 telephone company, only a handful of people can afford to fly; the politicians and the very rich businessmen(and their mistresses) and you waited at least 5 years to get a phone service unless you know someone at the phone company to bribe. Now that the airlines are privatized, everyone flies--even the ones who hasn't seen an airplane and would hesitate boarding, afraid that they're riding inside a metal bumblebee. And with so many phone service carrier now, it's not unusual to see a cigarette street vendor carrying a Blackberry or an Iphone (that he probably stole from the daughter or son of the customs collector or from a politicians illigitimate kid).

So what's my point? It's not that simple to explain, because it's about "consumerism". Of course I benefited from progress, but I also know that progress has its cost. When I am in Cebu I see the river next to my childhood home that used to be clear and clean and now blocked with waste and sewage. And the beach where my dad and I used to go to dig for clams is now slimy, black and toxic because of the progressive industy around it. The river and the beaches --- my childhood memories started and concluded there. Not to mention the abundant trees that are being cut down to sacrifice in the altar of progress. Progress.....I get a tummy ache and I feel helpless because I know someone somewhere is over-consuming and I am probably one of them.

1 comment:

custom thesis said...

I'm totally agree with the fact that we're over-consuming with this abundance!