Saturday, December 31, 2011

On this side of the fence....

In Dallas it is noontime on Saturday of December 31, while here in the Philippines it is now the new year....2012 is here. I'm sitting here trying to survive the neighbors firecrackers and all the noise from their noise making machine... which of course include the Karaoke.

Over the fence, 4 families live in one house, the size of which is not bigger than my crib. The last time I counted there were at least 19 people in that house. Miraculously, 3 people in that household really do have a job, and because of Christmas they get bonuses. And guess what they think that bonus money should be for? Well, one bought a karaoke machine, the other one bought these huge ugly looking boxes of speakers which they call "sounds." The 3rd one didn't get much so he just bought booze to go with the "sounds." And you know that not a day goes by that the "sounds" are not producing a sound to my torment.

Tonite, to bring in the new year they brought out the ugly boxes out on the street just outside my gate on the public street and all 821 of them partied like a rock star. I went out and chatted with them for a bit until I could not stand the "sounds" anymore. Just for the hell of it I asked one of them what their plans for the new year, if any. (I badly wanted to hear that building a toilet actually crossed their minds, if only to flatter me.) "I plan to quit my job end of January." "How long have you worked there?" "One year but it doesn't pay much." "And what are you going to do?" (I badly wanted to hear that he would pawn the ugly boxes and the karaoke and use the money to build a toilet) "I don't know." He said it like he was sure of his answer.

I've made a vow not to let anything raise my blood pressure so I just excused myself and went back to my crib and blog, resolute in my plan for the new year. For the year 2012, I want to do only one thing; kill the inventor of Karaoke. (If he's still alive.)

No comments: