Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cats are smart and dogs are....

Men. I found someone who finally has made my heart pitter patter. I let him play me for a fool and I spend money on him like I am the only heir of Carlos Slim. Yup. I am totally taken and fooled by my cat.

Do you know why there are more cat owners in the world than there are dog owners? Simple. Cats know how to play the "not always available" game and humans are intrigued by mystery and challenged by pursuit. When my cat wants something, he'll rub his face and body around my legs or sit on his haunches while looking at me with those eyes that says: 'I wuv you, am nothing without you." The appeal works. My need to feel needed is filled, so I open the not cheap box of Whiskas. He smells it, won't even taste it, then looks at me with that hurt mooneyes. The tail wiggle suddenly stops: "I wuv the canned one, you know that." I say in my mind: "you're a cat, eat the damn thing." He threatens to leave. I give in and open the can that costs more than a cup of Starbucks coffee here in the Philippines; the same coffee that I've convinced myself not to drink because it's just "too ridiculously expensive." He gobbles it up. My heart throbs because he loves my offering, so I want to hug him. Or better yet, I want him to hug me. He won't, he leaves. "You can rub my belly when I am ready." He warns me as he walks away.

Having this cat have taught me so many things. For one, I've learned that I prefer cats over dogs or human kids. With dogs, there's no excitement; they're never unavailable and they do what you tell them to do.... even without a dog bone. And kids? They'll do what you tell them to do--but only if you give them money. And they have parents. Who will teach them to remind you of their birthday and their birthday gift. And the worse is yet to come when they learn how to count.

Another lesson cats have taught me which I find very useful; if we women wants to raise our level of desirability with men, we need to be a copycat. We need to master over the temptation of being "always available." We need to hiss more and purr less. Let's treat men to the thrill of the pursuit. And the agony of the catch.
And men, I have no advise for you except to say, to remain as you are. Like dogs.

No comments: