Friday, February 10, 2012

I went to the woods because......

I criss-cross the island now, like I am just going to the market. I find that I love the boat ride after all. Well, with all the men, women and children polluting the city with their cigarette, I think migrating to the mountain isn't such a bad idea. So today I went to discuss with my caretaker where I should build my hut in the property.

We're going up and passing by my neighbors hut. I am way behind. Note the bolo on his side, he's getting me one next week.


We're now in my property but I'm still way behind because I thought I was going to die from exhaustion. Pepe, my land caretaker said: "you need to live here in the mountain so your bones won't get brittle." Yeah, right. You see the guy below in black? He's the fisherman who use my outrigger and he gives me half of however much fish he catches, he also is the motorbike driver to pick me up from the pier..... and the guy to carry my backpack so I can take another step to follow Pepe.
I made it. And from where I'm standing to take this picture, I think this is where my hut will stand, where I can ponder the ocean view and live deliberately like Thoreau.

If only you can see me get off the boat and catch a jeepney lugging a sack full of these, you'd think I'm an old farmer's hand delivering produce to the city.

No comments: