Monday, February 06, 2012

What tsunami?

Yesterday I left the house at 4 a.m to catch the boat going to Camotes to visit my piece of dirt there. I was coming back on the same day so I didn't bring anything but enough money for food and transportation. When I went to the port to come home, the boats were not allowed to leave because of the "tsunami alert". I know the sky was gloomy, but what are you talking about a tsunami? "You don't know there's an earthquake in all 4 islands?" Said the ticket lady. I started to panic. I worried about having to stay for the night because I didn't bring enough money. I counted my bills and some change and I barely had enough to pay for a fleabag hotel. I found one for 650 pesos, a pension house (about 15 usd). I pleaded with the clerk telling him that I needed a discount or I won't have money left to buy a boat ticket and I could not go home, unless I can walk on water. He agreed to let me have it for 500 pesos. I have to cover the bed with the blanket because it was too rough and itchy.

Scrimping on my pennies, dinner wasn't so bad.
The brother of my caretaker of my land convinced me to buy him an outrigger so he can fish and sell them and I can have the kind of fish I like. I thought it's a swell idea considering he has 8 kids to feed. I told him to stay out in the sea and stop making little people.
We're going down to the mangroves to look at "my" outrigger.

And here she is.

No comments: