Thursday, April 19, 2012

Medical Mission

My friends at the VNBC college organized a medical mission for the indigents in another island today. They wanted me to come and help, so at the crack of my eyelids this morning, I was at the port ready to get on our luxurious yacht.
There were 4 doctors; 1 from the US, 1 from Ukraine and 2 local doctors. The nurses were delayed in arriving so I was asked to assist the dentist which I did until she started pulling out her pliers to extract the tooth from the first patient. I moved on to interpret for Dr. Liev and Dr. Brad, and when I saw scabies and boils on most of the mothers and kids, I started to gag. I prayed and asked God to relieve me from the assignment and move me to the buffet line or the Spa table at the Shangri-la Hotel but God didn't indulge me. The day was long and hot, but it was very filling indeed.

No comments: