Thursday, May 31, 2012

Life is complicated or maybe not

Why is it that when I have money I don't wish to eat anything more than the usual rice and fish head soup, but when I am broke all I think of and salivate over are foods I normally don't eat? Like, Australian lamb shank, rib eye steak or aged Wagyu burger.

Today, after I visited with my street boys I went to Tinder Box. Tinder Box is overrated and overpriced but it's one place I like to go to when I crave for American food. Only the rich locals and white people can afford to eat here. Well, I could not really afford it either, but I wanted to treat myself to something expensive to help me feel less broke. But I also wanted to eat here because they artistically arrange your food on your plate---you know, arranged in such a way that it makes me behave like I belong there.

I make it sound like Tinder Box is a Michelin rated restaurant-- no, it's just a deli, but I love it here because I'm easily intrigued. Translation: I'm nosy. Because the tables are cramped close to each other you can listen in on peoples' conversation so clearly. Two women to my left were talking about how flying first class helped alleviate their fear of flying and how much they love the scented sleep mask on Singapore Airlines. Three men to my right table were discussing about their pharmacy chain and how they should consider buying someone's building for 40 million pesos. I wonder how 40million pesos in my name feel like. I wouldn't know because in the mountain with my neighbors, this is our typical conversation: "Your rooster had the plague when he humped my hen, so she got the plague too. But before she died,she made it to the pot for dinner last night." You see, some things in life are not that complicated.

No comments: