Friday, May 25, 2012

They're cute minus the mother

Children are a blessing. When they come with a good set of parents. Last night I was on the boat for a 2.5 hour ride back from my hut in the mountain. And for almost 2 hours of it I was a prisoner of these 2 boys. At first they were chasing each other, pulling each others shirt, then they'd wrestle hard while remained standing. Then it escalated to a scream, like that of a child being circumcised without anesthesia. When they got tired of this activity, they turned and screamed at their stone dead mother who was oblivious to these 2 little menace.(you can see her behind the post) She barely blinked, she just stared out into the dark expanse while talking on her cell phone. I shot her my sharp,fiery eyes look. Didn't work. The boys screamed again--at her. This time it worked...they both got a slap at the back of their head. I could not stand it anymore, I said something. "How long have you been living in a cave?" She gave me that look, meaning she didn't understand, so I rephrased my question. "How come you and your boys don't know how to live like you're not cave dwellers?" She glared at me, grabbed the boys, told them to shut up and another generous back head whack. Here, it shut them up for a bit until they found an empty plastic water bottle on the floor. They figured: why wait for their mother to hit them in the head when they can do it to each other, only less painful but louder. Loud enough to give me a headache and swore off grandkids.

No comments: