Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Surviboys

I am not a planner. That's already established, and ya'll probably have figured that out already. So the other day, I decided to take 2 boys from the 18 of the street kids to my farm in the island, with the thought that they'd come back with me after 5 days. Well, it evolved into something like, well,  my farm house is now Vagabond's half-way house.

I gave my caretaker specific instructions on what to do and what not to do regarding the boys while I am gone. I teach the boys basic skills and how to be normal, civilized people and prepare them to get out of the street.....that it is possible. That's the extent of my plan.
I give them a fraction of what I would normally pay a worker so they can have money when they are ready to leave.
I bought them chickens and I let them give each chicken a name. Having the chickens will teach them what it is like to have someone depending on them.
It is fun observing what gifts and skills God gave these boys. JJ the one in yellow, is very quiet and very detailed and likes to clean up and sweep the grounds. Kevin, loves bossing JJ around when he can get away with it. He is the animal lover of the two.

No comments: