Sunday, August 12, 2012

Three weeks from today, I will be on that bus with wings and take the 17 hour ordeal, squeezed in cattle class seating. I am just giddy thinking about it--I mean the landing in DFW airport. But departure is always bittersweet. Leaving this.





And my punks.











Seriously though, the boys are adjusting very well in the mountain. They told me they don't miss the street. I teach them how to live a civilized life; no peeing on walls and posts, garbage has to be contained and that work and keeping a job is basic for a dignified life. But most of all, the giver of life, the God who created them wants their praise and worship.

Since I have no experience in raising boys, I just invent tricks as I go. I try to work with their God given gifts and talents on how best to use them to enable them to go out into the world and become productive members of society. Their highest education is grade two, so I teach them basic arithmetic and reading. And because they hear me speak English to my American friends, they asked me to teach them English also.Words and phrases. The first word they came up with is "lulu" (heavy emphasis on each syllable). It was JR, the youngest one who raised his hand and said that the 3 of them wants to know the English word for it. I was caught offguard, not sure if I want to translate it anyway. But when I looked at all 3 faces, all serious and waiting for my answer, I said: "Masturbate" Junjun, the quiet one with artistic temperament of the 3, then asked, "How do you spell it?" I don't know why  he's suddenly interested in spelling when he can hardly spell his own name. "When you can pronounce it, I will teach you then how to spell it."

I knew I was bordering on insane when I took these bums in to begin with, but now I'm afraid this adventure would push me to the edge.

No comments: