Monday, February 04, 2013

I have an open door policy with these street boys: You freely come and you freely leave, but remember, it's not a revolving door. And there are guidelines and rules you have to follow while you're living with me.

1.Whether you like it or not, I live on the premise that there is a God, therefore we live by His guidelines here in this house. 

2. Since your parents failed you and you didn't have a normal functioning family, we're going to try and mimic a normal family setting.
3. Respect each other and respect other people and their property.

4. Personal hygiene is important.

5. He who will not work, will not eat.

6. And when you start to have feelings for the opposite sex---THINK with your head and make sure you don't create another street kid.

Last month at Christmas I brought the boys back here to the city. After 5 days, one of the 3 didn't come home from what was supposed to be a visit to his sister. After 3 days, I went to find him and of course, he was back under the bridge sniffing rugby. We talked and I asked him to come home. He said he will not go back to the island until he finds his dad. I said, fine, come back when you're ready. It's been almost 2 months and he's still out there with the other street kids. Here is JR, the youngest of them, he enjoys his goat and loves to find forage for the goat. I do the best I can and I just prepare myself for the day that they'd finally leave for good.

No comments: