Thursday, November 07, 2013

 Here I am waking up just suddenly realizing that in a few months I will be without a vehicle of my own. I started to panic and  thinking: How can I live in the US without a car? Am going to have to go back and live in my farm in the island. And the more I panicked when I thought about looking for a job and going on job interviews if I have to remain in the US. But I am forgetting the big picture, which is, that God has always provided for me all through the years. So I stopped thinking about myself and acknowledge how selfish that was of me, when my family in Cebu are panicking about a super typhoon that is about to hit them.

When a person lives in a society composed of people with  affluent means, one tends to think that he or she is also entitled to this affluence and when the entitlement is not afforded to him, some sense of  self loathing or self pity comes in. And this is not just a Western society's disease, this is a human heart disease. Living in Cebu, I saw how a poor family living in a 4x4 cardboard box coveted the other persons 6 x 6 cardboard box of a home. The medical term for this heart disease is called greed, and we all have them--- even the street kids that I worked with. None of them has a permanent cardboard box to call home; they all either sleep on the pavement of a building or under a bridge, but watch them fight over a nice shirt, a pair of sunglasses or a baseball cap. Each one of them thinks he deserves it more than the other boy. So yes, greed has no social class.

Oh how I miss my boys.






No comments: