Saturday, December 14, 2013

I love Christmas. I love the smell of Christmas at the stores and the hysteria that comes with decorating and buying-- by other people. But for myself? I do nothing. I don't decorate or buy, I quit all that the day Chat left home as an adult 18 year old.

Regardless of how Christmas started; pagan or Christian celebration, there's something about it that energizes people. It's not the food, because we do that at Thanksgiving and the rest of the year. So, is it the gift buying and giving? And the drama that comes with it? Thanksgiving has less or no drama involved because very few people would refuse an invitation to see a fat turkey laid in the middle of the table waiting to be commented on. "Oh, how did you do that, it's perfectly moist and tasty."  Or, I don't know but that turkey is about as tough as a Michelin tire.

I am a practical person; I do the least of anything. I don't accessorize my clothes and if I like one particular clothing, I wear it til it shatters to dust. When I was working in the corporate world and they wanted us to "dress for Halloween" I rebelled and threatened to quit, when Christmas "exchange gifts" was suggested, I protested saying I should not be made to shop for the other person. "Why don't you buy what you want for yourself, and I'll buy what I want for myself."  In simple terms, you can describe me as very simple.

No comments: